From it’s magnificent unveiling in 1926 to it’s modern-day revival, The MacArthur has long been one of the most important architectural landmarks in Los Angeles history.
Completed in 1926, The MacArthur was the crown jewel of one of Los Angeles’ most affluent neighborhoods at the time, Westlake Park. The building was built as a private member’s club (Elks Lodge No. 99) and hosted some of the most influential and prominent dignitaries and celebrities of the time.
In 1966, the building was sold to the Baur family. Kay and Gene Baur, who lived in Westlake, had the foresight to open up the building to the public, renaming it Park Plaza and offering it as one of the City’s most spectacular events and performance venues. In addition to events, it was used as one of the most filmed locations outside of the major studios. New York, New York (1977), Stripes (1981), Naked Gun (1990), Chaplin (1992), Reservoir Dogs (1992), The Mask (1994), Prestige (2006), Drive (2011), Gangster Squad (2013), and Mank (2020) are just a few of the hundreds of movies, television, music videos and commercials filmed at the building.